Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] runderwo@mail.win.org is offline

Default Is there a best type of valve for hard water?

On Jun 18, 4:48 pm, M Q wrote:

Sounds like the realtor was trying to sell a house that didn't have
(and probably needed) a water softener.

Actually, the house I was looking at did have a water softener.
That's where it came up in the conversation... I didn't buy that
house.

As other posters have mentioned, the amount of sodium is small.
But if your water is as hard as you mentioned, just for flavor,
you are probably not drinking the water.

The taste doesn't bother me that much. Having to shut off water and
replace valves, pipes, water lines and fixtures is what annoys me

If you still want to
worry about sodium, you have the following options:
1) You can get potassium chloride (KCl) to recharge the softener with.
Now available at most HW stores. It is about twice the price
(per mole, not per pound). Claims to be better for plants also.
2) Some people plumb the kitchen cold water faucet to bypass the
the softener.

In any case, I have had a water softener for 19 years, and soft water
good. The pipes and fixtures downstream of the softener are much
cleaner and less corroded.

Also, you would like to have outdoor hose bibs that don't go through
the softener.

Thanks, very informative!