Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default slow draining shower

alath wrote:
Moved in to new house.

If the house is new, and not just new to you, then contact the builder,
it is his problem not yours.

The shower drains very slowly. This is a tiled
shower stall, not a tub.
I tried using liquid plumber; no luck.

Yea, it would have been luck if it worked. All those things are luck if
the work, or seem to work. It is far better to really fix a problem than
use them. (see below)

I can do a fair number of home repair projects, but have done very
little with plumbing and drains. Do I want to try to rent a snake and
mess with this myself? Or just call a plumber?

Well you need to decide what YOU want to do. I would buy a small snake
if I did not already have one and clean it out myself. You might want to
call a plumber. Chances are a simple snaking will take care of it. Note:
remember that you used those chemicals and they are still there. They will
make your job more difficult and dangerous. I would want to get that stuff
out of there and well flushed before I used the snake. I don't even have
any of that stuff in my home.

If not then call the plumber. Do please tell them about the Liquid
Plumber you used, as it can be a danger to them when they are working on it.
Also note it can be a danger for you as well.

If I do it myself, tips hints and instructions would be appreciated.

Get a DIY book at the hardware store. It will cover with photos the
basic procedure. The book will be handy to have around in the future.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit