Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default do I sand and polish the floors first, or paint the walls first?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:52:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"stefoid" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

but im not sure.

thanks!

I'd paint first, with the understanding that you might have to touch up
spots on the skirt molding. But, the company who sanded my floors didn't
make a single mark on the molding. I have no idea how, other than great
skill. If you're planning on renting a sanding machine and doing it
yourself, you should count on making a mess. However, my opinion is based on
a small sample of 10 homeowners I know who screwed up the job.

If you do it your self, don't do what I do. Put on a coat of
polyurethane, wait a day as instructed, then use pads something like
brillo to scrape up the coat so the second coat adheres.

I don't know what I should have done, but the first coat was still
soft enough that little pieces of brillo got embedded in the floor.

I'm glad I was renting. (It was still a big improvement over the art
student who had dribbled paint on the floor while expressing herself
in her painting. You had to look closely to see the wires, but it
bothered me for the 12 years I was there.)