Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Troy-Bilt chipper w/ 8 HP B&S motor problem

On Jun 3, 6:28 am, timO' wrote:
I borrowed a Try Bilt chipper from a friend who said it hadn't been
used for a few years so no guarantees it would start.
It has a battery starter, but the battery is dead so I put in a little
fresh gas and gave it a try
After a few tugs gas came out the exhaust. I took off the air filter
and gas was down in the neck.
I'm thinking this unit was stored outside, and the carb froze and
cracked.
TIA.

Unlikely froze or cracked (gas doesn't freeze at normal temps). Most
likely is that it was stored with gas in it that has gummed up the
carb. The excess gas will almost certainly be due to the needle valve
being stuck open.

Warning: Do not fix the carb and then start that motor. Do a total
oil change first as the crankcase is probably also full of gas.

Harry K