Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Gas grill on wood deck, house on fire.

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:27:39 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Postal68 wrote:
Aren't there flame retardant mats for decks and patios sold to put
underneath grills?

Yep:

I thought I was done! And this paragraph
"After it rains, I’ve noticed there is a dark stain under my grill pad
on the deck. What causes this?
The “Original” Grill Pad is porous. It allows for water penetration
through the Grill Pad but not grease. The watermark you see should dry
within days if you either remove the Grill Pad or leave the Grill Pad
in place. Do not attempt to pressure wash or apply cleansers to this
watermark. It will dry to its original surface appearance."

And I've never heard of a chiminea, but they say it twice, so it's
probably not a typo:
Is 24” from the deck surface to the bottom of my new chiminea enough
room to protect my deck?
We recommend this height from any sustained heat source. Be sure to
use the manufacturers recommended safety measures when installing a
chiminea, gas or charcoal grill, fire-pit or fryer!

http://grillpad.com/faq_page.html

http://grillpad.com

It's probably a fine thing, if I had my grill over wood, but this part
bothers me.

"Is The “Original” Grill Pad fireproof?
Nothing is fireproof, and The “Original” Grill Pad is no exception.
The “Original” Grill Pad is recommended for outdoor use only and is
naturally heat and weather resistant. You should allow a reasonable
clearance between the heating appliance and the Grill Pad on your deck
or patio surface."

Most rocks are fireproof, short of throwing them in a volcano. Even
then they only melt. They don't catch on fire.

Jeff