Andy Hall

Default Stop cock leaking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:06:25 +0100, "Rich"
wrote:

I have an outside toilet with the water main coming up through the concrete
floor, this is black plastic with an outside dia of about 3/4 of an inch, it
then goes on to the stop cock and then to a piece of copper pipe with a
compression fitting, but this leaks like mad!!!!!!! the compression fitting
on the out going side of the stop cock does not seem to be a proper
compression fitting, I think it has been bodged to fit, so what I would like
to know is if I remove the stop cock, what new stop cock can I fit which
will fit the old black plastic water main and allow me to use some 15mm
copper to the toilet??

Richard

Condom? :-)

Sorry for that, couldn't resist.

Normally plastic water pipe is blue, so this is either a few years
old, or it could be an agricultural type. I had that in a previous
house.

You need to replace the stopcock anyway. Try to measure the
diameter of the pipe accurately and then check with a plumber's
merchant or even look yourself in a DIY store. If the size is not
quite right, then this could be agricultural pipe and the stopcock
should be available from a supplier of agricultural irrigation
equipment.

On the output side you should have a 22mm compression fitting, and you
can run in copper from there.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl