Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] glue@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Run versus Start Capacitors - How to tell

On Apr 18, 10:29 am, stoneattic wrote:
I have a 9" Craftsman (Sears) drill press that just smoked the motor
capacitor. I call Sears about a replacement and they want to sell me
the whole motor (of course). I'm trying to replace just the
capacitor but I don't know if it's a run or start. Here's what
labeled on the cap:

CBB60 SH
16mF +/- 5%
-25/70C
250VAC
50//60Hz
Wenling Star &Fire Capacitors Factory
E215152

The model of the drill is 137.219090 if that helps

How can I determine if it's a run or start cap?

thx

First, let me say that I am not an engineer, or electrician, or motor
repair person, but rather just a jack of all trades that plays with
things to figure them out so I cannot get technical for you here,
however, in the unlikely event that you still need this info, I have a
Craftsman 6 inch grinder that has the same capacitor and same
problem. I know that it is functioning as a starting capacitor since
I can give the wheel a spin by hand and turn it on and it will run all
day long, even after I have cut the capacitor totally out of the
system. Sears does sell them thru their parts section for 4.49 each
with a 6.99 shipping and handling charge plus any taxes for your area,
making the part cost 25% of a new grinder to me and the new ones have
a more powerful motor so I am also looking to find one cheaper
elsewhere.

Gary