Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much to strengthen loft floor, but not full conversion?

On 18 May, 03:02, Steve wrote:

I'd love to get my loft converted into a habitable room, but have been
told by friends that it'd cost from £8k-£12k to get done properly,
which makes it out of bounds at the moment. Therefore, I was just
going to board it myself and use it for storage, as I'd like to make
some use of the space.

However, I was wondering, how much do you think it'd cost to just get
the loft floor strengthened, as if it were getting converted, but
nothing else?

I could then use it for storage (albeit, with a stronger floor for
peace of mind), but be able to do work on it bit by bit over the next
few years, doing one step of the conversion at a time (DIY where
possible, and getting professionals in where necessary).

My house is a 1950's semi. I just wondered if anyone knew a ball-park
figure to get this done before I start calling around and getting
quotes. I don't want to call people out if it's still going to cost a
fortune. I'd also be interested to know if anyone thinks that this is
a bad idea for whatever reason.

Thanks,

Steve

Once you know what steps the process involves its not hard to DIY it,
and usually not expensive, nothing like the figures you mentioned.

This may help clarify one step of the process some mo
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...n_a_Wood_Floor

Once you've got your design you can look up what the materials would
cost.

NT