Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max63 Max63 is offline

Default Is East still East & West still West? Musing about salad bowls.

I believe the far east product wont advance much further and will
alwys be distinguishable. What
you can do are two things: sign your work (ask collectors - signed
work such as pottery or furniture is
much higher in value) and emphasize use of local, non-industrially
felled trees. Those who care
will alwys prefer these.
Last but not least - your musings are on a commercial basis. Most
turners I know consider
turning a fun past time, an appreciation of nature and one of its most
appealing raw materials,
an art or practice/celebration of craftsmanship. If you turn for
income, far east competition
is a niche killer, indeed.

Arch כתב:
Yesterday I went to the local Target store to buy some two cycle motor
oil. They don't sell it so I took a look at their imported wooden bowls.