Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default how to dry out after water leak?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:51:17 +0000, mike wrote:

(Posting for some friends) They live in a first floor flat and have had a
water leak underneath the kitchen units. The leak has been fixed but
unfortunately seems to have been going on for some time.

As a result there are water stains on the ceiling of the flat below.

For now they are just trying to dry the place out because of the awful
smell. Trouble is they cannot get at the affected area. They have some
kind of "stuck on" floor tiles onto the floorboards. Beneath that is the
ceiling void and they have managed to get a hole to that to try and blow
warm air to dry things out. No luck so far.

I thought maybe a heat gun directed in there (I know it needs great care -
so maybe not worth the fire risk). Is there a better (& safer) way to get
warm air in there to dry things out?

They are a young couple and having a pretty hard time of it in other ways
so I'd like to help - but don't really have any better ideas.

Appreciate any us help I can pass on to them - for which I will of course
give full credit!

Thanks

==================================
You don't actually need heat to assist the drying out process. An ordinary
domestic fan will work quite well provided that you can get air to
circulate in and out of the floor void. You'll need to lift a
section of floorboard at two points to allow proper circulation. You could
use a concertina type duct from an inline fan (or even the fan itself
complete with duct) to get the air in.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux