Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas cooker connection

Mo wrote:

OK, I had a look - the one we have is pretty old and gettign green mould
on it - after putting soem effort in I got it out - I put it back in.
Spark up the cooker and it all seemed fine.

If you want a confidence check that the thing resealed correctly, you
could spray some soapy water over it (bit of washing up liquid and
water). You would see bubbles if there is any leak. Wash with plain
water after however as the washing up liquid will be slightly corrosive.

Its back on now - however there is nothing holding it to the wall -
there IS achain on there tho but not connected to anything - tho I don't
see how anyone could install it given the chain is so short.

The chain should either hook onto a hook screwed into the wall, or
alternatively some cookers accept an L bracket fixed to the back wall at
the base of the cooker. This stops it tilting when slid back into place.

Can I do a test for gas leaks?

See above... (the better way is with a can of leak detector spray -
available at a plumbers merchant, the best way is with a manometer
connected to the test point on the gas meter). See the gas fitting FAQ
for more info on that.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

I heard somethign about some yellow tape...?

This is referring to a (typically white) PTFE tape usually supplied on
(typically) yellow reels. It is a little thicker than the stuff used on
screwed connections with water pipes. It is only used on gas where you
have a screwed connection that has to seal on the threads (so not
compression fittings which use an olive). You don't need it to connect
or disconnect a cooker hose.

What could happen if the cooker leans forward?

The biggest risk from tilting is when someone falls onto an open oven
door and promptly tips the content of the hob on top of them as well.

There is a hole of sorts on the floor - it sticks out (I'll have a
closer look in a min) - maybe that is the device to stop the lean?

Doubt it.

--
Cheers,

John.