Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default 3/4" birch plywood stain question

What stain do you recommend for staining birch?
Will it take a cherry or oak stain?
I would like to build a cabinet and book case.

I'm a "home center woodworker" which means all my lumber and finishing
supplies come from Home Depot or Lowes.

So, I have built a lot of different projects using 3/4" birch plywood
with poplar trim/face frames (entertainment center, bookshelves, computer
desk, wall cabinets, etc.).

I typically sand to 150 grit paper, vacuum the dust with a shopvac brush,
then wipe on a coat of Minwax "Pre-conditioner". I follow that with my
choice of stain (I used Varethane "Golden Mahogany" for my computer desk)
that I wipe on with a rag. I wipe off the excess stain, then let it set
overnight before brushing on two or three coats of an oil based
polyurethane (letting each coat dry overnight, and sanding lightly with
220 grit paper before applying the next coat).

I used the same technique with our kitchen cabinets, except the face
frames were made of pine, and I used a MinWax "windsor oak" gel stain.

I also use 3/4" birch plywood to build cabinets and carts for my garage
shop, and I simply apply the poly coats directly to the bare wood after
sanding. It's a lighter color, but a lot less work for things that will
take a beating in the garage.

In any case, I agree with others, practice your techniques on scraps
first. Stains always look different on the wood you are using than they
do on the samples at the store. You may end up with a collection of
stains before you find the color you like. If you can find a store that
sells Varethane stains, they usually have little sample packets that let
you try a variety of stains without spending $10 on a full can.

I'm a big believer in the pre-conditioner, especially when trying to
stain soft woods like pine. Without it, the stain ends up really splotchy
looking and/or the different woods accept stain differently. The
conditioner makes for a much more even appearance.

Remember to follow the instructions on the conditioner and stain cans.

Gel stains usually go on more evenly, but lately it seems like the color
choices have been limited. But as long as you use the pre-conditioner,
you can use pretty much any stain you want.

Finally, I haven't had much luck with the "all-in-one" stain and poly
blends. Every attempt I have made at using them ends up streaky and
splotchy, no matter how much prep work or care I use applying it.

Anthony