Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

In article , "Toller" wrote:
dags

Gee, that was helpful.

"frank1492" wrote in message
news
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank

--
Regards,