Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Henderson garage door spring

Chris wrote:

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on retensioning my Henderson garage door
(metal up and over door with a spring running across the door frame
above the door and wires on cones running down to the sides of the
door).
Just to make sure I've got it right, I have the door down and the
cones and shaft locked off with a pin. I slacken the grub screws that
attach the spring to the shaft, then use tommy bars to tension the
spring before retightening the grub screws.

The big question is, which way do I turn the spring? Do I tighten the
spring so that as the door opens it unwinds, or do I unwind the
spring so that as the door opens it tightens?

Thanks

Chris

The spring winds up as the door *closes* so that it assists you to open it
against gravity. [The other way round, the door would come crashing down -
driven by the spring - and would be *very* hard to open because you would be
lifting it and winding up the spring at the same time.

If you can get at it, it's usually easiest to adjust the spring tension with
the door propped fully open.
--
Cheers,
Roger