Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Chris is offline

Default Henderson garage door spring

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on retensioning my Henderson garage door
(metal up and over door with a spring running across the door frame
above the door and wires on cones running down to the sides of the door).

Just to make sure I've got it right, I have the door down and the cones
and shaft locked off with a pin. I slacken the grub screws that attach
the spring to the shaft, then use tommy bars to tension the spring
before retightening the grub screws.

The big question is, which way do I turn the spring? Do I tighten the
spring so that as the door opens it unwinds, or do I unwind the spring
so that as the door opens it tightens?

Thanks

Chris

--