Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Hartigan Mike Hartigan is offline

Default Final coat of Spar Urethane on my bar top - now what?

In article ,
says...
On 24 Apr 2007 08:56:15 -0700, Mike wrote:

I suspect that my "beer resistance" will not be adversely affected by
this new toy. (or were you referring to the finish's resistance to
beer? ;-)

Mike:

I had a similar situation with a maple table I built for my hunting
"cabin" several years ago. I used spar varnish for durability but
found that it scratches pretty easily with glasses, cans, etc. being
slid on it during our nightly poker games. Four years ago (after a
couple of touch-up coats of spar) I over coated the spar with a short
oil varnish (Murdoch's Rock Hard in my case). That stuff doesn't
scratch unless someone tests their knife on it, which is strongly
discouraged.

I scuff sanded the spar with 400 grit, then overlaid it with 2 coats
of Murdoch's. 4 years later it still shines bright. Alcohol (after
guns are unloaded and put away!) and water haven't hurt it at all.

Just my experience.

Note: The last coat of spar had cured for about 1 year before the
first overcoat.

I'll keep an eye on it for a year or so and take care of it if and
when it needs it. It's good to know that, if it turns out not to be
an ideal finish, it's an easy enough fix.