Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom B Tom B is offline

Default Final coat of Spar Urethane on my bar top - now what?

On 24 Apr 2007 08:56:15 -0700, Mike wrote:

I suspect that my "beer resistance" will not be adversely affected by
this new toy. (or were you referring to the finish's resistance to
beer? ;-)

Mike:

I had a similar situation with a maple table I built for my hunting
"cabin" several years ago. I used spar varnish for durability but
found that it scratches pretty easily with glasses, cans, etc. being
slid on it during our nightly poker games. Four years ago (after a
couple of touch-up coats of spar) I over coated the spar with a short
oil varnish (Murdoch's Rock Hard in my case). That stuff doesn't
scratch unless someone tests their knife on it, which is strongly
discouraged.

I scuff sanded the spar with 400 grit, then overlaid it with 2 coats
of Murdoch's. 4 years later it still shines bright. Alcohol (after
guns are unloaded and put away!) and water haven't hurt it at all.

Just my experience.

Note: The last coat of spar had cured for about 1 year before the
first overcoat.

Regards.

Tom