Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default OT - Steady Rest

I have a oneway spindle steady. It was well worth the $100. I too have a Jet
1442. It's very simple (fast) to adjust; loosen a few wing nuts, close it
like sissors and tighten up the nuts.

Some if the home made designs, such as the one recently posted on ABPW are
not nearly as elegant.

If the parts are handy and cheap I would try home made, otherwise I would
just buy one.

-Steve

"JJM" wrote in message
I am new to the group and not real good at doing detailed searches so this
topic may have been addressed in the past.

I am looking for a steady rest for my Jet full size lathe (14").
Woodcraft has their own with bearings, OneWay has theirs for about $110
with rubber wheels and then I see some homemade units that look really
slick using the roller blade type of wheels.

Question is: Throw me some opinions of what works and what does not work.
I really like the idea of making my own but I went to a sporting goods
store and just to buy inline skate wheels with the bearings and you can
drop anywhere from $40 to an insane $100+. My kids are grown and gone or
I would snag some from their old skates that we probably threw away a few
years ago. (ARGGGGHHH).

Thanks folks in advance for the help.

John.