Posted to sci.electronics.repair
w9gb w9gb is offline

Default APC Smart-UPS 1000

"ian field" wrote in message
Someone donated this UPS and I was fully expecting the SLA batteries to be
sulphated and scrap, but they were in fact reasonably charged and a
session on the Optimate gave each battery the green light "good
indicator".

With the batteries fully charged and the mains connected the UPS remains
dead as a dodo - no LEDs lit, nothing!

A look on the website reveals that the unit can be shut down via software
(I don't have the serial cable) but I would have expected at least 1 LED
lit on the front panel, I've opened it up and confirmed both mains &
battery voltage actually reach the PCB.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

I just fixed mine -- shipped from APC -- it had a constant alarm buzzer when
plugged in and turned on.
APC internet support -- could not help.

The APC Smart-UPS 1000 uses a number of "QC" (Quick Connect) terminals.
It is not uncommon for these to become loose during shipments or moves with
this model.

On my unit, found one of the transformer's secondary wires from transformer
not fully seated on the PC board -- that was it -- working like a champ.

When these APC units fail --- the top 3 reasons / problems:

1. Bad lead-acid batteries
2. Charger circuit bad (can not properly charge battery)
3. Internet circuit (can not produce 120 VAC from good battery).

gb