Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxwell Lol Maxwell Lol is offline

Default OT - Steady Rest

"JJM" writes:

I am new to the group and not real good at doing detailed searches so this
topic may have been addressed in the past.

I am looking for a steady rest for my Jet full size lathe (14"). Woodcraft
has their own with bearings, OneWay has theirs for about $110 with rubber
wheels and then I see some homemade units that look really slick using the
roller blade type of wheels.

I have both, and the one with metal bearings was nearly useless to me.
It was hard to adjust, a pain to put on and off, and when I used it,
it left compressed wood and marks where I held the wood.

The Oneway is easy to set up and install, and easy to adjust. I think
the Woodcraft one one you describe is made for metal lathes. It had
no brand name on it, but I got it at a Woodcraft store. Maybe someone
can adjust it so it's just right, but I gave up.