Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default electrical outlets

On Apr 16, 9:13 am, "Eric9822" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:48 pm, wrote:

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

Thanks

WDG

It's personal preference, there is no code that addresses the
orientation. The vast majority that I have seen have the ground
receptacle on the bottom.

And recently, following this same discussion here on several
occasions, the general conclusion of which, if I recall correctly, was
that ground pin at top was probably the safest against anything
metallic falling across the live and neutral pins etc.; it appears to
me that many (most?) of the el cheapo plug-in wall warts/adapters/
timers etc. seem to be made for ground pin on the bottom! Almost all
outlets in my house are the other way up. Most of the time it doesn't
matter anyway, but ............ occasionally it's nuisance to set a
timer and then plug it in upside down!
those previous discussion also, again IIRC, identified that since the
ground pin is longer and stouter having it at the top 'might' decrease
the likelihood of sagging and dragging out the 'working' pins; more so
than if those pins are at top. In other words sagging would push the
working pins 'in' rather than pull them out.