Posted to rec.woodworking
torontocarpenter torontocarpenter is offline

Default Delta 12.5'' portable planer

On Apr 7, 7:35 am, wrote:
I have one. When I use it with wood that contain lots of resin like white
pine gum accumulates on the surface of the bottom table and rollers. First
I remove the electrical power completely from the planer. Then I use
mineral spirit to clean the table and rollers.
I also apply bees wax on the surface of the bottom steel table to reduce
friction.
This 12.5" planer is not made or design for heavy work. You can only remove
less than a 1/64" in one pass.
Half of 1/64" is even better especially when you working with hard wood like
maple and oak.
If your planer is stored and used in a unheated garage it will accumulate
condensation and dust. Along with wood that has been stored in the same way
you will have friction on your planer table. So when the planer has been
unused for a while I clean and wax its table and check the rollers. It is
not a bad thing to make sure that there is no abrasive matter on the surface
of the wood to be planed.
If all this failed you should contact Delta to find a fix and maybe have it
repaired under warranty.

"torontocarpenter" wrote in message

oups.com...

I bought this Delta 12.5'' portable planer 4 monthes ago, it was
working fine. Today, when I put the wood in, it doesn't move any more,
even I push hard, it is hardly moving. After checking, I found that
the front roller doesn't move when the moter is running, does any one
else have the same problem?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply.
I opened the side, and turn on the machine, I see the chain doesn't
move at all, maybe it is loose. Any planer do you recommend?