Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay tenplay is offline

Default problem with Payne Plus 90 furnace - SOLUTION

tenplay wrote:
Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from
a short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not
working. When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the
draft inducer motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The
furnace came with the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I
read online, it is supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient
furnace. Given its age (at least 13 years), is it better to repair or
replace it? I suppose it is dependent upon how serious and costly the
repair would be. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Mike

I had the local gas company come out and look at the furnace. What a
surprise! It turns out that a bird flew down the air intake pipe and
lodged itself in the draft inducer motor and burned it out. The PSE
repairman said that he had seen that only twice before in his 16 years
on the job. Cost us $341. Guess that beats buying a new furnace
although this one's built in 1990. We hope it continues to work well
until we sell our house in a couple of years.