Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Does as GFCI give you some surge protection?

wrote:
Hi,

GFCI's have some surge protection built in to protect them from surges
in house wiring. Does this same surge protection extend a bit to
protect what is pluged into a GFCI? I guess this may be a dumb
question in that I know that there are surge supression receptacles
out there, but those ones cost about 2.5 times a GFCI receptacle. Can
I get a "cheap" surge supressor in installing a GFCI?

Best, mMike.

No. If you have something that needs surge protection and it is worth
the cost, get really good point protection.

I would suggest that you may want to consider whole house surge
protection as well. It can give good, if not great, protection to every
device in your home. Important sensitive devices should still have their
own point source protection.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit