Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default How do I cut a 4x4 post?

CW wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Ok, I've tried cutting the end with a sawzall, the ends come out
uneven. I tried with a circular, I can't ever seem to get the cuts
to line up when I flip the wood to do the other side. And the miter
saw I have just isn't big enough.

I've resorted to having Home Depot cut them there, but they don't do
precision cuts, and sometimes they are too busy and I don't want to
wait.

Add in the fact that sooner or later I'm going to have rough sawn
4x4 that I will have to cut myself regardless.

Besides buying a really big miter/radial arm saw, any suggestions?
Handsaw, chainsaw, or a Prazi-beam cutter attachment for a
circular saw. Or you can use the method one of my neighbors
uses--find a neighbor to do it for you.

If you chose a handsaw try to find an antique Disston crosscut
saw with maybe 8 points and sharpen it yourself. Joint it first
and set it after if it needs it, often they do not. Most off-the
shelf
handsaws are not really sharp, set too coarse, and with teeth
that are two fine. A 4 point ripsaw will crosscut quickly too,
but leave a rougher kerf.

You could also design and build a 16" radial arm saw. Maybe a
guillotine with a 50 pound blade and a hundred foot drop. How about a
large lathe, steady rest and a part off tool? There is all kinds of
ways to overcomplicate this if you think about it long enough.

Using a sharp handsaw isn't "overcomplicating"--it used to be that
sharpening one's saw was just part of daily life--my father sharpened
his saws regularly and he wasn't even a carpenter by trade, he was a
sailor. The trouble is that modern Western-pattern saws are either very
expensive or not very good and finding an old Disston in decent shape
may be difficult. A 40 buck ryoba with a throw-away blade works
remarkably well and is readily accessible.

Odd, J Clark actually catching the point. Got to say though, I have a modern
Stanley handsaw and can do pretty good work with it. For cutting the 4x4
though, it wouldn't be my first choice. Circular saw and speed square would
be it.

I'd use a 'camp' saw (small bow saw). Th blade is long enough (and
straight) to get a good line up on the cutting line.

The OP could take some off each end and use the best end up.

Bill (who has other ways to cut a 4by that apparently the OP does not.)

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000724-1, 03/16/2007
Tested on: 3/18/2007 10:04:20 PM