Scorsi

Default Strongest / Toughest material moldable in a Silicone RTV Mold?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message t...
"Scorsi" wrote in message
om...
Hello, I want to cast some fine pitch gears in a Silicone RTV mold. I
want to know what the toughest and/or strongest material is moldable
in silicone RTV that would also serve well to make well
detailed,resiliant and strong gears.

Probably some exotic graphite and A/B-cure epoxy.

If you want metal, spincasters have cast aluminum diecasting alloys in
silicone rubber. The rubber is a very hard, high-temperature version. It
doesn't last for many shots but it does work. It doesn't much resemble the
common RTV type that's used for low-temperature casting.

Look up spincasting on the web.

Snip
Ed Huntress

Hi Ed, (and everyone else) thanks for the replies. I have talked to
some spincasting Gurus and it seems that the because of the huge
amount of pressure and heat that goes into making the rubber mold, the
spincasting process is a little hit and miss when it comes to casting
accurate gears. The rubber changes shape concentric to the middle of
the mold as it cools and pressure is released.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to cast Nylon or Delrin
in a Silicone Room Temp Vulcanizing mold?

Steve