Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default How do I cut a 4x4 post?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Ok, I've tried cutting the end with a sawzall, the ends come out
uneven. I tried with a circular, I can't ever seem to get the cuts
to line up when I flip the wood to do the other side. And the miter
saw I have just isn't big enough.

I've resorted to having Home Depot cut them there, but they don't do
precision cuts, and sometimes they are too busy and I don't want to
wait.

Add in the fact that sooner or later I'm going to have rough sawn
4x4 that I will have to cut myself regardless.

Besides buying a really big miter/radial arm saw, any suggestions?

Handsaw, chainsaw, or a Prazi-beam cutter attachment for a
circular saw. Or you can use the method one of my neighbors
uses--find a neighbor to do it for you.

If you chose a handsaw try to find an antique Disston crosscut
saw with maybe 8 points and sharpen it yourself. Joint it first
and set it after if it needs it, often they do not. Most off-the
shelf
handsaws are not really sharp, set too coarse, and with teeth
that are two fine. A 4 point ripsaw will crosscut quickly too,
but leave a rougher kerf.

You could also design and build a 16" radial arm saw. Maybe a
guillotine with a 50 pound blade and a hundred foot drop. How about a
large lathe, steady rest and a part off tool? There is all kinds of
ways to overcomplicate this if you think about it long enough.

Using a sharp handsaw isn't "overcomplicating"--it used to be that
sharpening one's saw was just part of daily life--my father sharpened
his saws regularly and he wasn't even a carpenter by trade, he was a
sailor. The trouble is that modern Western-pattern saws are either very
expensive or not very good and finding an old Disston in decent shape
may be difficult. A 40 buck ryoba with a throw-away blade works
remarkably well and is readily accessible.

Odd, J Clark actually catching the point. Got to say though, I have a modern
Stanley handsaw and can do pretty good work with it. For cutting the 4x4
though, it wouldn't be my first choice. Circular saw and speed square would
be it.