Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to set up a hand plane

Tim W wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in message
"Neillarson" wrote in message

Is there a rule of thumb for how much blade is to stick out thru the
sole?

Holding the plane up to the light...

Sorry, I got that wrong. Take your best plane and put it on a hard surface
like a concrete floor. Using a good heavy club hammer hit the back of the
iron as hard as you can. The concrete will stop the sharp edge from
protruding too far from the sole.

What?! You use the same surface for sharpening _and_ setting? You
really shouldn't be giving advice!

I use the slab for sharpening so I can move the plane all over and not
wear a hollow in one place on the slab. It's also fun to make car
noises when you're running the plane along the slab. Then I use a
concrete block or brick to whack the back of the plane until the iron
is set correctly (this may take a while).

PS To the OP - start with a shallow cut and creep up on your desired
depth of cut. You'll get the feel for it in no time.