Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default How to set up a hand plane

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ps.com...
The chisels are great and the couple planes I can get adjusted
properly cut silky smooth translucent shavings on hard maple and
walnut. But the issue is getting them adjusted. I usually get one of
two situations, no shavings (or dust) or the plane won't move due to
the big bite I am trying to take.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much blade is to stick out thru the
sole? If there a "trick" to getting it there? Or is this strictly an
eyeball type of process? I was thinking that if I set the plane on a
flat softwood surface, and adjusted the plane iron till it was flat on
the wood and square to it, then gave it a good nudge, it would be fine
(didn't work very well). I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

I use my thumb to judge exposure, as a rule. Remember the problem of
backlash when adjusting the exposure. Some designs are worse than others,
but you want to end up on extension, not retraction of the blade. Then it's
a case of adequate is as it adequately does.

Not unknown to have a frog problem that gives you a false extension that
goes away with the second push. You should have set the frog properly on
those planes having one in the initial fettling. Here's a great place to go
for answers. http://www.amgron.clara.net/