Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default How to set up a hand plane

On Mar 16, 11:49 am, "Neillarson" wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb for how much blade is to stick out thru the
sole?

How easily the tool can be pushed. Crowning (curving) an edge
has a big effect; heavily crowned irons can be set deep, as in the
case of scrubs. A #5 jack with a 1/16" crown is easier to push than
a block with a dead straight edge.

If there a "trick" to getting it there? Or is this strictly an
eyeball type of process? I was thinking that if I set the plane on a
flat softwood surface, and adjusted the plane iron till it was flat on
the wood and square to it, then gave it a good nudge, it would be fine
(didn't work very well). I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Turn the adjustor knob until it just bumps. Flick the lateral lever
back and forth. That'll set or retract the iron a thou or so. Takes
but a second. Woodies are even faster.