Tim Williams

Default Strongest / Toughest material moldable in a Silicone RTV Mold?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
If you want metal, spincasters have cast aluminum diecasting alloys in
silicone rubber. The rubber is a very hard, high-temperature version. It
doesn't last for many shots but it does work. It doesn't much resemble the
common RTV type that's used for low-temperature casting.

I would suggest ZA-27 (27% aluminum, balance zinc, you can whip it up with a
dollar or two of 1983-or-newer pennies and some scrap aluminum). Strong as
mild steel, hard as heck, melting point less than aluminum (circa 1000
degrees).

The Zamak family of alloys (look into ZA-8) have
tensile and compression strengths on the order of 40 kpsi and good bearing
properties.

Oh...there you have it

I don't like the looks of ZA-8, at least the stuff I've made; makes big huge
crystals, visible when you break a face.

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,