Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default sump pump drain hose frozen.. what to do? A bit more detail....

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:02:57 -0400, "jd" wrote:

The sump pump is i nthe basment, about 5 fett below grade. The drain pipe
comes straight up out of hte sump hole, and goes out a hole inthe foundation
wall, still about 3 feet below grade. It runs more or less staright for
about 20 feet to open air, with the last 6"or so of pipe exposed. It almsot
cetainly has the wrong pitch (as in it pitches back towards the pump instead
of towards the open air end), but I cannot tear up the yard to fix it.....
It freezes pretty close to the point where it comes out of the ground.

Guys, can't he clamp a hose on to the pipe**, and run the hose down to
below the level of the sump pump, the start of the hose, so that it
will siphon the water out after the pump stops running. I think a
siphon works better the lower the outlet is.

There's probably a known relationship between the amount of water and
the maximum diameter for which a siphon will work, but I don't know
what that is.

**Make sure no air gets in where the hose is connected to the pipe, or
the siphone won't work at all

I"m not sure this will work, but it's easy to try, and find out.

Perhaps a little freezes each time the pump runs, and eventually layer
over layer fills and clogs the pipe??

soon as the ground thaws, it works fine... the problem only lasts for a few
weeks when the water tabgle rises before the ground thaws....

I've rigged a temporary flex hose that runs out a window, but I;d prefer to
see if there is some other permanent way to deal with it (without tearing up
the yard)