Posted to alt.home.repair
jd jd is offline

Default sump pump drain hose frozen.. what to do? A bit more detail....

The sump pump is i nthe basment, about 5 fett below grade. The drain pipe
comes straight up out of hte sump hole, and goes out a hole inthe foundation
wall, still about 3 feet below grade. It runs more or less staright for
about 20 feet to open air, with the last 6"or so of pipe exposed. It almsot
cetainly has the wrong pitch (as in it pitches back towards the pump instead
of towards the open air end), but I cannot tear up the yard to fix it.....
It freezes pretty close to the point where it comes out of the ground. As
soon as the ground thaws, it works fine... the problem only lasts for a few
weeks when the water tabgle rises before the ground thaws....

I've rigged a temporary flex hose that runs out a window, but I;d prefer to
see if there is some other permanent way to deal with it (without tearing up
the yard)

--JD

"jd" wrote in message
. ..
Hi folks,
the drain pipe for our sump pump is buried but the end pokes out of a
hills ide into open air. every year, it gets an ice plug in it, so the
sump pump can't pump....

The water levels start rising before the ground thaws, so the basement
always gets water in it i nthe spring. As son as the pump pipe thaws, it
can pump out the water, so everything is OK..
any ideas on how to keep the drain pipe from freezing?

thanks