Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

HomeDecoy wrote:

In my house, the downstairs bathroom has recently been repainted and
now that it's being used, we've noticed that is has a sweet smell in
there, almost like cataloupes. There is no window in the bathroom,
it's got a sink and a toilet and I can not see any mold or water
damage that would indicate it was a water caused smell. I did notice
the smell while painting but thought it was due to the old nasty
wallpaper. (I peeled it off, put textured drywall compound up and
painted with bathroom paint) This bathroom is right beside the laundry
room but the laundry room doesn't smell at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this, if it's something I should
worry about and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Latex or oil? If it is the paint, it could take a couple of weeks for
the paint to completely cure. Odor from paint might linger longer if
the room is kept closed or not much air circ. Not sewer gas, right?
Didn't leave an air freshener in a drawer, right?