Posted to alt.home.repair
HomeDecoy HomeDecoy is offline

Default Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

On Mar 8, 11:56 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
My experience: That "sweet" odor is sewer gas.
The toilet seal (aka "wax ring") can leak gases
even though there is no evidence of water leakage.

The odor may come and go with use and may even
depend upon prevailing wind conditions.

Ahh so all we need to do is reseal it, which we were going to be doing
due to installing new flooring.
If we don't do fix it within the next week, are there any ill-effects
we should be aware of or cause us to move the plans forward quicker?
Usually I close the door and leave it alone, though it does get used
maybe once a week or so. (I'm one of those people that worry things
will explode for no reason so I thought I'd make sure!)