Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water heater: running out of water too fast

"mdo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a house, and the hot water tank was only 6 months old
when I moved in. We've only been in it a week, but it seems that if
two people have normal (5 - 10 min) showers in the morning, the hot
water runs out by the time the second person is half done. I know
noting about a hot water heater except how to change the temperature
setting, so am a little lost here. Does anyone have a comment or
suggestion about what may be going on, or what I can do before I have
to call a plumber? Thanks in advance.

Gas or electric? If it is electric one of the elements may be bad. It would
heat up during night from just one element, but as soon as you start using
the water it becomes diluted and cannot recover as fast with only one
element working. Even though fairly new, things do break and it may be
covered under the warranty.

Another possibility is that it is too damned small and the previous owner
went for cheap knowing he will be moving out.