Posted to sci.chem,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Richard Perkin Richard Perkin is offline

Default What type of adhesive is "No More Nails"?

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

Jimbo wrote:
I am in the UK and would like to ask some questions about glues.

QUESTION ONE
Does anyone know what category or type of adhesive is Unibond's
NO MORE NAILS sold for general purpose home use?
See http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/images/UNINMNC.jpg
Does anyone have an ingredients list for this adhesive?

I think its is an acrylic type glue.

The solvent-free flavours of adhesive are acrylate based.

I'm a great fan of Gripfill and it's now many years since I used No
More Nails, so my reply relates to Gripfill, but I expect other
brnads are similar.

The (organic solvent) adhesives are synthetic rubber based, which is
why they dry slightly rubbery are cannot be sanded. I believe the
base is polychloroprene (aka neoprene) using butanone (aka methyl
ethyl ketone, MEK) + xylene as solvent. The product is bulked out by
fillers.

It's the MEK + xylene which gives Gripfill its wondrous smell. I was
using it last night in the hallway - this morning the addictive (?)
smell is still lingering...

There was a recent thread here about what to use to remove such
adhesives - the answer is scrape off the bulk, then clean with MEK or
other ketone (eg acetone). But watch out for nearby plastics, or
painted / varnished surfaces!

But my chemistry (well, chemical engineering) is getting rusty lately
after years of disuse - or should that be (solvent) abuse...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.