Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey Tom Storey is offline

Default Musing about the effects if any, of how we price average work.

Hi Arch,

Let me wade in to this at least to my ankles/neck...I turn wood for fun and
I sell it for fun and for whatever price the market will bear. Now and then,
if I've got all the end grain smooth, I'll ask a cheeky price! Won't always
get it but then, I don't do this to make a living.

I don't think you can equate most woodturners output, pros and amateurs
alike, to that of framers, carpenters, plumbers, doctors or lawyers. Not
many folk 'need' turnings. Anyway, because I live in a 'craft' oriented
community, not many locals buy round art. They are all busy 'turning' and a
few.. growing BCB?

We all look at the galleries posted by 'known' turners and some of their
work is simply outstanding; however, some of it is not. Even for the
latter, they ask much more that my 'cheeky' stuff. To become a 'known'
turner one must sell lots of turnings to lots of peopleand it helps if some
of the buyers are famous and rich!! Most buyers in smalltown America/Canada
are just ordinary people and will not buy $150 to $300 pieces of round wood
unless the Artist is 'renowned'.

So, I price my work for what I think it will fetch. I owe no one an
explanation for that and I don't feel obligated to adjust my prices to
'protect' someone's income. Free market rules and the American way, right?

Oh, and I take the bundles of $$ and either buy more wood or more tools or a
Chinese dinner for the wife and I. Wouldn't it be nice to say 'a new car' or
'a vacation'?

One more thought, as the Devil's advocate, if an amateurs offerings sells as
well as the pros, what does that say for the pro and the buyer? Has the
amateur slipped into the realm of PRO?

FLAME ON .... Tom

"Arch" wrote in message
I'd like to revisit an old dilemma that sometimes comes up when
woodturners gather, that is if you believe it is a dilemma at all. It
may be just another 'OTOH' subject we argue about. Anyway, what is your
take re under pricing, and implied under valuing or grossly overpricing
of turned pieces by competent but average hobbyists who are occasional
sellers. Please consider _only competent, but little known turners and
omit both well known and well below average turners. Choose any selling
site or event you wish, but stick with one venue.