Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default What is the best product for recurring drywall cracks?

In article . com, "Eric" wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

There's a dozen of products -- hard to say which will be
best for your specific problem.

However, it sounds like you need something a lot more
flexible/elastic than what you've used in the past.

Bear in mind, those products are likely not sandable!
You'll need to apply it correctly, first time. Spend
a few minutes playing with the gunk and an old bit of
sheetrock, cardboard or whatever just to get the "feel"
of the stuff.

You probably don't want to go for the ultimate in
flexibility (i.e. silcone) since that is neither
sandable nor paintable.

One problem I have found with many of the more flexible
fillers is that they shrink during the cure. That's
only likely to be a problem if the cracks are large.

Alternatively, you might consider applying a textured
finish to the entire wall/room. This can be done using
relatively flexible mixes that may absorb the movement
well enough. Even if some minor cracking does come
through, it will likely be a lot less visible. Hairline
cracks are a hugely less obvious on textured versus
flat/smooth finishes.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |