Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What is the best product for recurring drywall cracks?

On 28 Feb 2007 03:46:20 -0800, "Eric" wrote:

Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

I think the choice between elastic caulk and mesh tape depends on how
bad the cracks are, how many they are, and how much work you want to
do. The caulk is proably more likely to have to be redone, but the
mesh will be noticablly thick and noticeably meshy and will have to
have a lot of stuff put over it to cover the mesh. And it might be
easier to do the caulk 2 or 3 times than the mesh even once.

There are caulk or spackle-type products, special for cracks, that are
elastic. I forget the names but the paint store guy will know.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair