Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Aldi Air Compressor

On 28 Feb, 08:30, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in onder.co.uk...

Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under £60 and a range of air tools at
bargain priceshttp://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

suitable inspection port - usually a very big
hexagonal nut in the centre of the end cap.

The receiver has one, a drain plug at the bottom and and indented test
tag welded to it

I note that the specifications
do not state whether the 270 l/min is a continuous or an intermittent
rating, so I would guess that it is probably not continuously rated.

Its only a 25 litre receiver so continuous operation partly depends on
the tool, it definately wont run a DA sander at all really.

I would
also be rather dubious of its suitability for spray painting, as I have paid
more than that for the filters/separators needed to produce the clean, dry
air that spray painting needs.

Indeed just a service on a devilbiss gun is about twice cost of whole
kit.
Though if the alternative is aerosol the gravity feed gun is an
improvement, its also slightly better than the siphon gun Machine Mart
sell for about 15 quid on its own.
Also get a humbrol style airbrush that wont turn you into Roger Dean
but will help you do that stencil design.Tyre inflater , blow gun and
long nose paraffin gun for 60 quid with a 3 year guarantee.Its a good
deal within its limitations.

Air chisel, also on offer, is best tile remover I`ve found yet.

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good
second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of providing
5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has no pressure
vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or inspections.

Hydrovanes seem rarer nowadays, everyone from garages to road crews
seemed to use them for while now lot of them seem to have gone back to
piston compressors. Guess can fix piston compressors with mole grips
and hammer ;-)

Adam

Colin Bignell