Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about the effects if any, of how we price average work.

Arch... this is an old conundrum that crosses all manner of trades,
crafts and even artistic endeavors. You questions are good ones, ones
that don't get much notice from anyone until they themselvs become
"craftsmen" or "artists".

The general public doesn't noice much about craft works until they are
involved (or like when I put up crown molding or replace a custom
cabinet for a fee) in it.

As a professional woodworkier for many years, I have had my feelings
hurt many times in the past when I see someone take a job from me
because they underbid it. It hurts worse when I see the job finished,
and I don't think it meets the expectations of the owner that paid for
it. But we live in a free, capitalist society, and just because
someone getst their feelings hurt or their pride takes a hit doesn't
mean someone else did something wrong.

All I have to do is change out "turned bowl" for "3 layered 6" crown
mold" to make my point. I have been paid for my work for almost 40
years. I have put more time, effort, and money into learning what I
do than I would rather admit. Yet, I miss a job now and again because
someone will take a less quaility.

Pricing? Always a problem. Always. When we don't have good weather
for a month or so, prices on outside work start to crumble. When
thing slow down locally for a few months it is a disaster. And since
any yahoo with a hammer and a working saw is "a full charge
carpenter", there is always a lot of competition.

Yet over a period of years, I have managed to build enough client
loyalty to stay pretty busy, no matter what the conditions.

Take that to the "craft" of woodturning. Any weekend yahoo with a
lathe is a "woodturner". Anyone that sells a piece dreams of "turning
pro" without having any idea what that means except they get to turn
all day. And there are thousands of turners out there, some not so
good, some absolutely gifted. So there is plenty of competition, and
more coming all the time.

What right does the "pro" have to demand that prices be higher than
market. Notice that these deamands usually pertain to the low value
of their work only - a lower priced beautiful object bought from a
fellow turner is known as a "good deal" or even a "gloat".

The market determines the price. That's it. Period. If there are
ten million hollow vessels, prices will indeed be low. And the irony
of all the argument of higher prices is that they have been so low for
so long most of the demo guys that make the circuit would tell you it
takes all their efforts to make money in the "craft". Turning,
teaching, writing books, giving seminars, shows, etc., are all needed
just to keep their face out there to maintian themselves as a viable
commodity.

Besides, do you think they get top dollar because they mastered their
"craft"? No way. They sold their original pieces for what they
could get to get their work out there. These guys went to county
fairs, gave free demos, probably gave away some of their work as
prizes for promotions and put a helluva lot into defining their little
corner fo the world of woodturning. Not to mention going to the
turning fairs and get togethers to promote themselves. Like all the
hours I put into building my company, they did the same things to
build their brand. And like me, they face competition of all sorts.

I personally think that if you can't deal with the market, or someone
else's pricing bothers you so much that you can't deal with it you
probably should continue to give all your turned stuff to the
relatives at Christmas time.

Robert