Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Musing about the effects if any, of how we price average work.

I'd like to revisit an old dilemma that sometimes comes up when
woodturners gather, that is if you believe it is a dilemma at all. It
may be just another 'OTOH' subject we argue about. Anyway, what is your
take re under pricing, and implied under valuing or grossly overpricing
of turned pieces by competent but average hobbyists who are occasional
sellers. Please consider _only competent, but little known turners and
omit both well known and well below average turners. Choose any selling
site or event you wish, but stick with one venue.

Is it wrong to under-price those turners who try to make a decent profit
from their hobby or need to make a turning business succeed? OTOH, is
it wrong to deny a comfortably well off hobbyist the self satisfaction
of selling a turning by urging that s/he take into consideration _all
the expenses and costs of production and then charge a businesslike
price? Conversely, should a barely competent turner trying to start a
business lower his prices? OTOH is it wrong for a hobbyist who doesn't
care whether anybody buys his stuff or not to put an outlandish value on
it just to stroke his ego?

Does trying to sell crappy work at a low price demean the craft very
much? OTOH, who defines crap, especially when spouses, friends and
family universally think Dad's work is wonderful and he should sell some
of it?

Is woodturning accepted enough and the economics and scale of its market
robust enough to accommodate all good (not great or well known) turners
who offer their turnings for sale at whatever price they choose? Is our
image as craftsmen and artists strong enough now to let the market
decide _if we can sell whatever we want to make at whatever price we
want to put on it or is its status still fragile and needs to be
coddled?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter