Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default BIOS Reset Help

Lionel Wagner wrote:

I have changed the DIMM's in a computer in order
to upgrade. Since then, all I get when powering
up, is one long beep followed by two short beeps.
I understand this is a memory error.

1 long, *three* short is a memory error Beep Code for an AMI BIOS.

I have re-
installed the original DIMM's but the error persists.
I have removed the BIOS battery and re-installed,
no good. I tried shorting two points close to
the battery in order to "clear CMOS" also without
success. Is there another reset procedure?

This message is encoded in (free) open source Linux
The reliable virus-resistant alternative to Windows

Did you check for damage to the DIMM sockets from forcing
something/incorrect installation? Look for any desbris that got onto the
socket contacts when changing the DIMM's? Did you try cleaning the DIMM
contacts? If it is a memory problem clearing the CMOS settings won't
help. The computer is telling you the DIMM's aren't seated
correctly/poor contact or the DIMM's are bad.

Rick

Rick