Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default APC Smart UPS shows overload with no load attached

"w9gb" wrote in message
. ..
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"w9gb" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I deal with a Smart UPS 1000 that shows overload after self
test when no load is attached? The inverter sounds quite a bit louder
than usual.

I'm very interested in this. Are you directly involved with this
refurbishment operation, to the point of knowing these units well ? I
have a Smart-UPS 700. It seems to indicate that it thinks all is well
when it is just idling, single computer on the end, one load light
showing, centre "doing nothing" status light showing, but a few months
ago, we had some power outages in the village where I live, and it failed
to hold the power up, causing the computer attached to it to immediately
reset.

Arfa -

I met Chris through some mutual friends -- he first started this business
in his parent's basement (when he was finishing high school).

IF you have a specific question -- fell free to call or e-mail him at the
Internet -- I provided.

APC has now been purchased by Schneider Electric (a French company that
also acquired Square D a few years ago).

gb

If this Chris guy is the one to talk to with detailed knowledge of these,
then yes. I would like to put my symptoms to him. As I'm sure you know if
you're involved in service at all, it's very common if you explain a set of
symptoms for an item that you're not familiar with, to someone who is, they
will just say " Oh yes, that's a common problem. Just replace Q502 " or
whatever. Once again, today, we had a brief power outage in the village, and
once again, the ups didn't hold up. However, perhaps I'm missing something.
This is the first reference that I've seen to him, and I'm not seeing any
contact e-mail or web address for him anywhere. If you would prefer, just
mail me his details direct off-group. Is he a licensed ham operator ? I note
that you are mailing via the ARRL. I too am licensed here.

Arfa