Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Shredding/chipping leylandii

HI Tim

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:26:04 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Having grubbed out my hedge, I now have a huge pile of branches to deal
with, probably about 3 skip loads.

Next problem is how to dispose of them.

Options include:

o Big bonfire. Pros- cheap. Cons - no good site handy for a bonfire.

o Skips. Pros - easy. Cons - expensive.

o Hire a chipper (& operator) and disposal of chips in garden. Pros -
plenty of space to use the chippings. Cons - man came out today and did
that sucking through the teeth bit and said that the bushieness & density of
the hedge would probably choke his machine.

o Buy a garden shredder and shred what we can. Pros - relatively cheap and
I end up with a shredder at the end of it. Cons - won't handle the
thicker/bushier stuff and I might end up with a *broken* shredder at the end
of it.

Any other suggestions? Would something like this
(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7218400.htm) be up to the
job (assuming we avoid stuffing anything too thick down its throat)?

Tim

Quickest and tidyiest is a _proper_ shredder -
We had 12 x 40ft pines removed just after Christmas -
proper Tree Surgeons came with a unimog-mounted, hydraulically driver
shredder which ate everything from 4" diameter down.

made one heck of a noise - and a large pile of chippings...

Back at the last house I did the 'bonfire' route - possible a bit
unecological - but very satisfying !

Regards
Adrian