Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] runderwo@mail.win.org is offline

Default APC Smart UPS shows overload with no load attached

On Feb 19, 5:09 pm, "Homer J Simpson" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

How do I deal with a Smart UPS 1000 that shows overload after self
test when no load is attached? The inverter sounds quite a bit louder
than usual.

This unit worked fine for a long time until it was unplugged for
precisely 2 weeks and moved...

Battery would be the first thought. Voltage under load?

Well, I disassembled (discharging the two large capacitors) and
reassembled it, with no improvement. But I got it to work in a very
strange fashion. So I'm trying to make sense out of this.

The UPS does not complete self test when nothing is plugged into it.
It
lights the overload indicator only and a constant audible tone.

If I plug a 40W lamp into it, it completes the self test and operates
as
usual.

One more little tidbit of information is that I have 126V at my
outlets,
which triggers the overvoltage regulation in the unit after it passes
the
self test.

Thoughts?

I'm glad it seems to be working now at least. I just find it very odd
that
the way to cure the UPS sensing an overload is to plug a load into it,
and thinking that maybe it has something to do with the high input
voltage.