Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Septic solution for cottage/cabin

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small cottage/cabin (26' x 24'), small budget, where living
for weekends and vacation, 2 adults. I did the construction myself
(extending a 10'x10' existing one).
There is not a septic installation; so far the toilet is outside, also
I made myself an outside shower.
There is not running water, only rain water or bring water from a
spring (when not raining). I am collecting water into a 250 gal water
tank.
I am thinking to have an inside toilet and a shower. I did prevue a
separate room for that. I would like to use these facilities during
the winter also, (ski season), when frequently -20 C.
What would be the solution to have an inside toilet and shower? There
is also a boiler for hot water.
Is a septic fosse a good solution if not having running water? Any
other solution?

Thank you,
Chris

This is what we do:

In the winter, we haul water up in 55 gallon barrels when the snow is not
too deep. At times, there is just NO way except to snowshoe or snowmobile.

I have a pump, and we pump it to two 55 gallon drums in the loft. We have a
winter piping system of plastic pipes. This gives enough water to flush the
toilet, and to take showers with Solar Showers, and water heated on the
stove. You just have to be careful when you leave any standing water to put
some RV antifreeze in there or your p traps will burst. Upon leaving, you
also have to antifreeze everything.

Remember that you are required to get a septic permit, and they can be
downright difficult to deal with if you do it illegally, up to the point of
them digging it up and billing you.

Steve