Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sideboard Strategies?

On Feb 21, 5:08 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:

When one is gluing one 5/8" thick board to another 3/4 thick board of a
different species and cut differently (QS vs. flatsawn), you
really do need to worry about this.

: Hummm,,, might be a good reason the rebate the legs.

Might be a good idea to redesign the entire case, actually.

I cannot think (unless it is San Antonio) of a better aquarium to test
the tangenital differences of the two attached products than Houston.
Average humidity... 1,040%, give or take. A drought for Houston is 3
weeks without rain. However, they have the distinct addition to this
mix of getting hotter than hell in the summer.
So da Swinger has a perfect lab to test.

It should be interesting. Say both woods are dried down to between 8
- 12% then laminated. The piece is completed, then finished - inside
and out.

The unknown variable is the addition of the finish and the location of
the piece in the house. I work on a lot of old houses, and have been
told time and time again "that old table likes that spot". Meaning,
when it is put in an area of heavy airflow they see joints open and
drawers stick. Back in its happy place (a less drafty, more
temperature stable area), it will reagain itself after a period of
time. Jon Vogt of Vogt antiques had to confirm this not rare at all
phenomenon, because I believed a little movement was possible, but not
THAT much.

As far as the finishing goes, today's finishes can really grind down
the gears of expansion and contraction. The lacquers I shoot come in
the can around 22% solids, and I understand others are even more.
Some of todays polys are no less than 30% solids! About three coats
of that and you have encased your project in plastic! (But remember
Karl uses his own witches brew and method.... bubble bubble... toil
and trouble...). If this is the protocol he describes on his website,
it will be well sealed, indeed.

While It may not prevent movement altogether, but it will make a huge
difference in mitigating it.

He might be asking for it, but to me it is a toss leaning towards
there being no problems. Sealed properly I don't think the climate for
expansion and contraction will be that drastic since it wll be inside
a home. For him, it is a great science experiment that we will all
benefit from.

Just my 0.02.

Go Swing Go!

Robert