Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sideboard Strategies?

wrote in message

So... let me see if I do. You are building a dovetailed box, then
veneering it with the appearance grade wood of your choice.

Side panels only are "veneered" with the primary wood.

In this case, the primary QSWO veneer is 5/8" thick, and, with the 3/4"
thick secondary wood that it is veneered to the oak (poplar, containing the
dovetails that hold the top and bottom to the sides), the sides give you a 1
3/8" thick, long grain-long grain, glue surface for the legs.

I chose those particular dimensions to allow a 1/4" reveal on the 1 5/8"
thick legs when all is assembled.

You are
then using hidden mechanical joints as needed in the final assembly.
Yes? No?

The legs are joined as below ... all other components use traditional
joinery methods, but way fewer "joints" are necessary with this method than
with traditional frame and panel sides.

The CAD sketch looks quite elegant, but in the construction phase it
looks like a gun safe. How much will that weigh when it is finished?

A bit more than traditional frame and panel construction.

The extra will come from a double top, (the real one, which will be fastened
to the casework top ... which, BTW, also acts as a kicker for the top
drawers), and the thicker, laminated sides,

All other components of the sideboard (web frames, drawers, doors, etc)
would be there any way, plus the frame/casework construction is of secondary
wood, which is lighter than the primary wood.

.... and cheaper.

The additional weight should be offset by a marked decrease in
susceptibility to wood movement (all grain in the basic "frame" of the piece
runs in the same direction), plus a huge increase in structural strength,
with less susceptibility to the racking and sagging that plagues these wide,
four legged pieces over time.

One more thing... I see the detail of the tenon sticking out top and
bottom to attach the legs. Will those be the only points and means of
attachement?

Those mortise and tenons you mention, plus 2 more on each leg (the ones you
don't see yet are an addtional M&T joint attaching the front and side bottom
aprons to the legs), PLUS a long grain to long grain glue joint between the
legs and the 1 3/8" thick case sides, running the full height of the case
work.

... actually more leg joint strength than what you get with traditional
frame and panel construction.

(Think of Artie Johnson's voice here...) Veeeeery intersting....

I thought so too ... this is a big piece (63" long) and other than making it
8 legged, which has traditionally been the method to keep long sideboards
from sagging and racking, I was looking for another method.

That said, it is an experimental piece, but with the same degree of planning
and thought that goes into a more traditional project, and with the hope
that it turns out as well in final appearance/design as if it were more
traditional construction.

We'll see ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net